Summary: Overall rating of 2.4 stars. This is the first of many trips around Costa Rica to find the perfect beach. Some people work on Tuesday’s. We go to the beach.
Playa Caldera is an “off the beaten path” beach. It is located right off highway 23 in Puerto Caldera a port city for cruises and industrial ships. The water is clear but at first glance looks murky because of the chocolate colored sand. The waves are small but the pull is strong making it not a great swimming beach. The beach offers an unobstructed view of the Nicoya Peninsula and is a close proximity to attractions like Puntarenas. It only offers a few amenities – coffee shops, food trucks, etc. This is definitely a place to bring the dogs for a nice beach stroll.
Attractions: Playa Caldera
Location: Caldera, CR
(Ratings based on the 5 Star System)
- Appeal (i.e. beauty, popularity, etc) – 2/5
- Water (i.e. clarity, waves, riptide, etc) – 3/5
- Sand (i.e. color, texture, etc) – 3/5
- Activities (i.e. swimming, surfing, etc) – 2/5
- Amenities (i.e. parking, food, etc) – 2/5